Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Circle B Bar Reserve - Lakeland, FL

It has been a while since my last post after our trip to Yellowstone and Glacier.  I spent the time recovering from surgery and am feeling great and ready resume all my fun activities of photography, swimming and cycling.

This past week I visited Circle B for the first time since last spring.  There is not much happening yet but with the cooler temperatures and migrations starting up we should begin to see more activity soon.  With the nice rainfall in September there is plenty of water in the marshes.  Shortly after arriving I saw this Belted Kingfisher perched over the marsh.  I watched as he would dart off over the water and quickly dive for small fish, then return to his perch.  This shot was taken with Canon 7D, Canon 500mm + 1.4 extender at f/5.6 at 1/500 sec.


Belted Kingfisher


In the same area I spotted the following bird perched just taking in the new morning sun.  I wasn't sure what it was until I asked a friend to help with identification.  It is a female Red Winged Black Bird, as in most birds, so different from the male.


Red Winged Black Bird, female

I selected my last picture as my photo of the week.  We found this majestic Blue Heron along Alligator Alley.  The dense spanish moss made the perfect backdrop for him.



Blue Heron



It was great to be out with the camera again.  I will be headed to Smokey Mountain Nat'l Park next week in search of cool temperatures and fall colors.  As always thanks for visiting my blog.

David

No comments:

Post a Comment