Sunday, July 24, 2011

Osprey in Grand Canyon of Yellowstone

One of my favorite pastimes after work when I have just a few hours is to view an Osprey nest that sits atop a rock pinnacle in the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone.  I've watched this nest over the last three years while here in the summer.  I set up the spotting scope near the rim of the canyon and constantly have people ask what I'm looking at.  When they look through the scope the usual response is "Oh my gosh".  This year I've watched as the three eggs have hatched and have now doubled in size.  One evening last week I took the "big" lens out and took the following pictures. 


I believe this is mom returning to the nest.  There are three chicks in the nest.  (click on the image to enlarge it)


Based on past observations the fledglings will probably make their first flight in late August or early September.  I'll plan to post more pictures of the Osprey as they mature.

Thanks for following my Yellowstone adventure.  David

No comments:

Post a Comment