Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Yellowstone

Another week in Yellowstone has passed.  I had three days off and tried to take full advantage of them.  The first day friends and I hiked to Fairy Falls and then on out to Imperial Geyser.  This is a popular hike in the Old Faithful area.  When we reached Imperial Geyser there was no one else there so we had it all to ourselves.  Imperial constantly erupts to about five feet but every so often it will reach about twenty feet.  There is a beautiful blue pool around the base of the geyser.  While hiking to Fairy Falls you pass the Grand Prismatic Spring pictured below.  It is the world's second largest hot spring.



The next day was spent driving through the north end of the park in search of photo opportunities.  Just before reaching Roosevelt I saw a small black bear up ahead.  I pulled into a pullout and waited for him to make his way toward me.  He was too close to leave the car so the following was taken from the car.



 I hiked into Trout Lake in hopes of finding the otters but once again they were not out.  A small stream leaves the lake on the north side and it was full of cut-throat trout swimming upstream to spawn.  I did find one photo op while hiking around the lake.  This Common Golden Eye Duck and chicks were resting on a log in the lake.



I hear the wildflowers are beautiful now in Teton National Park so that may be a destination for the next days off. 

Until next time thanks for following my Yellowstone adventure.    David

No comments:

Post a Comment