Sunday, July 10, 2011

Yellowstone

It has been another good photo week in Yellowstone.  The weather has been beautiful with mornings of 40 and highs around 70 to 75.  The park was very crowded for the holiday week but if you were out early the wildlife sightings were many and there was little traffic.  Later in the afternoon a bison or bear jam (traffic jam) could stop you for 30 minutes or more. 



This little bison calf needed a brief rest before continuing to play with others in the herd. 


I again visited the Sand Hill Crane nest on Floating Island Lake.  One colt had hatched as you can see in the picture and there is still one egg in the nest.  This pair of cranes has nested here for at least the last three years that I know of.  I'll continue to post pictures as the colts grow over the summer. I apologize for the glare but this was taken with a harsh mid-day sun.



One morning last week I woke up at 5am and decided to drive out the east entrance to see if any of the local bears were around.  I found this grizzly at Sedge Bay and watched him for over an hour.  There were only a few people out at that hour so we had him all to ourselves.


I'll sometimes pass up trying to photograph the black bears because it is difficult to get a crisp sharp picture of their black color but this fellow was in a beautiful field of wildflowers on the back side of Mount Washburn. 

I already have several pictures for my next blog post which I should have out in the next few days.  Remember to "click" on the image to see a full screen view.

Please remember that all images posted here are copyrighted and may not be used without permission.  I do post the full size image so that you are viewing the best detail possible.  If anyone is interested in using an image or would like a print, just use the link on the blog to email me.

Until next time, thanks for following my Yellowstone adventure.   David

No comments:

Post a Comment