Monday, May 16, 2011

Yellowstone

Spring is finally arriving in Yellowstone.  Afternoon temperatures are reaching 50 and the snow is quickly melting.  Yellowstone Lake is still frozen but I expect it will clear by early June.  Due to the heavy winter snows there will be little hiking until mid to late June.  The east entrance from Cody has been closed for a week due to numerous avalanches.  My favorite drive over Dunraven Pass will not open for several more weeks.  I've been in training since arriving so have not had many photo opportunities.  We open the hotel this Friday so I'm looking forward to getting on a normal schedule.  We still do not have internet service in the dorm, but maybe sometime this week.  Here are a few photos from this week.


Several pair of Harlequin Ducks are currently in the LaHardy Rapids on the Yellowstone River.  It was difficult to get down to the rapids through waist deep snow, but worth the effort to see these beautiful ducks.  I'll try again this week to get some better pictures.


Here is a pair of Sand Hill Cranes beginning to think about nesting.  I think right now they are just trying to stay warm. 


This large ram was really impressive.  You can tell by the scars and battered horns that he has fought hard for his dominant role. 


Any finally this (brown) Black Bear was seen just south of Mammoth Hot Springs.

My highlight of the week was watching the Canyon pack of wolves on the move across the snow in the Hayden Valley.  There are five in the pack and I watched them from several locations as they moved south through the valley.  Too far for pictures, but a wonderful sight though the spotting scope.

Thanks for following my blog, until next time.  David

No comments:

Post a Comment