Friday, May 27, 2011

Yellowstone

Last week it appeared that spring was just around the corner and this week we've seen snow flurrys everyday.  This evening it is 28 degrees with a feels like temp of 21.  We have winter storm warnings for the holiday weekend.  I've found several photo opportunities this week after work and will post a few here.

Here is another look at the Harlequin Ducks in LaHardy Rapids.  They are here for only a short time in the early Spring.



One evening after dinner I found this playful otter on the frozen ice of Lake Yellowstone.  



This grizzley was seen several times feeding on a bison carcass.  The bison likely died during the winter and was frozen in the ice until recently.



And finally my picture of the week.  This sow and cub have been frequenting the Fishing Bridge area for a few weeks.  I finally got a chance to see them yesterday.  Thanks to my boss Steve for letting me out of work once we heard she was nearby.  I hope to see them many more times over the coming weeks.  

It is Friday of Memorial Day Weekend.  This morning we awoke to fresh snow and learned that all park roads were closed to traffic due to icey road conditions.  The sun is shining now so hopefully the roads will open by noon.  Until next time, thanks for following my blog.  David

No comments:

Post a Comment