Monday, June 27, 2011

Teton National Park

On one of my days off last week I decided to go down to Teton Nat'l Park for the day.  It is 100 miles from Lake to Jackson Hole which is on the southern end of the park.  I left at 4:45am to try to arrive before the light got to harsh for good pictures.  On the way by Colter Bay I stopped briefly to get a glimpse of bear #399 who I've heard so much about from guests that have seen her and her three cubs.  There was an army of photograhers waiting as they crossed the road in front of me and headed off into the woods. 

My first photo stop was at Oxbow Bend on the Snake River.  There was a slight ripple on the water so I didn't get the reflection that I hoped for but it was still worth the trip.  In the fall when the Aspen turn golden this place is covered with photographers.


My next destination was to Morman Row, a small village settled by Mormans from 1908 to the early 50's.  This old barn along with the Teton Mountains as a back drop are a popular photographic spot.


After these photo ops I traveled south to the Laurance S. Rockefeller Preserve where I hiked the 7 mile loop around Phelps Lake.  It is one of my favorite places in the Tetons and this was the first time I hiked the entire loop.  I carried a camera and tripod in hopes of seeing a moose but not this trip.  But on my way to lunch at Moose Junction I did spot a bull moose along the edge of the snake river.  It wasn't the best location for pictures but here he is..


It was a great day in the Tetons and I hope to make several more visits before I leave. 

Until next time, as always thanks for following my Yellowstone adventure.   David

No comments:

Post a Comment