Monday, June 27, 2011

Yellowstone

On Sunday I circled the upper loop in hopes of an opportunity to try out my new lens.  I knew if nothing else I would stop at Floating Island Lake to photograph the nesting Sand Hill Cranes.  When I passed through Mammoth the local elk population was gathered around the little church there as if they knew it was Sunday morning.  There were numerous new calves as seen here..






Next I stopped by Floating Island Lake.  I've heard reports of several moose frequenting the area but after a few hours watching the cranes and Ruddy ducks I headed back to Lake.  I plan to go back this way soon to get better pictures of the Ruddy's.  They have a beatiful light blue beak and cinnamon colored body.   Here is the mother crane standing over the next which is a very small island that looks as if it is floating in the lake, thus the name Floating Island Lake.  Look closely and you'll see two eggs.  (click on image to enlarge)


This image was taken with Canon 7D, 500mm lens @ f5.6 with 1.4x extender for equivalant of 700mm.  Subject distance was approximately 80 meters.

My next post will be pictures from my trip last week to Teton National Park. 

Until then, Thanks for following my Yellowstone adventure.   David

No comments:

Post a Comment