Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Glacier National Park Lakes and Waterfalls

While in Glacier I did several short hikes of 3 to 6 miles.  Late one afternoon I hiked to Avalanche Lake.  This is a 4 to 5 mile round trip hike which gains 500 feet on the way in.  It is a beautiful lake with at least 5 waterfalls cascading down the opposite mountain side.



This is the view from the overlook viewing Hidden Lake.  This is normally an easy 1.5 mile hike from the Logan Pass Visitor Center but some of the heavy snow fall from last winter remains on the slopes and trail.  About 90% of the hike was on snow.  Hidden Lake is one of the most visited places away from the road in the park.  As you can see there is still ice/snow on portions of the lake.  Remember this was on August 7th.


This is Wild Goose Island in Lake St. Mary on the east side of the park.  This was photographed from the Going to the Sun Highway.  This was mid day so the sun is harsh on the mountains.  Next time I'll be there at sunrise.   The water really is that blue.


One final picture of St Mary Falls.  This is a short easy hike and can be extended out to Virginia Falls.  In this picture I experimented with extending the exposure time to give the water a look of motion.  It's not quite the look I wanted but will keep working on it.


With only two days in Glacier I just touched the surface so I guess I'll have to return some day.  Next time I'd like to also visit Waterton Lakes National Park on the Canadian side.

Thanks for following my Yellowstone (and Glacier) adventures. 

No comments:

Post a Comment