Monday, August 29, 2011

Yellowstone Pronghorn (Antelope)

On Saturday I traveled through most of the park remembering the many photo opportunities presented to me this summer.  As I traveled through the Lamar Valley I spotted a small family of Pronghorn not far from the road.  The Pronghorn is the fastest north American land animal capable of speeds of 60 mph.  It is estimated there are less than 1,000 Pronghorn in the Yellowstone ecosystem today.


This nice Pronghorn buck appeared to be the leader of the family.  He was usually on the outside of the family grouping keeping a watchful eye.  Bucks will have horns up to 25 cm long and females will have smaller or no horns.


These two young Pronghorn are sparring in practice for when they are grown and begin fighting for territory and dominance over a group of females.


I have one more post planned with pictures of a small family of Elk.   I will be leaving the park on Thursday making my way back to Florida.

Thanks for following my Yellowstone adventure.   David

No comments:

Post a Comment