Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Glacier National Park Mountain Goats

I just returned from a long weekend in Glacier National Park.  Glacier is truely a park for hikers with over 700 miles of trails.  Only one road (Going to the Sun Highway) travels through the park for 50 miles.  It starts on the west side at Lake MacDonald at an elevation of 3150 ft and travels upward to Logan Pass at 6646 ft before dropping back down to St Mary Lake on the park's east side.   One of my goals was to photograph the park's iconic mountain goats which can usually be found along the trail to Hidden Lake from the Logan Pass Visitor Center.  It was about a 2 mile hike over snow to the Hidden Lake overlook and as I reached the top I found this mountain goat waiting for me.



Although in this picture he is partially shaded I liked the compositon of the tree and the snowy background.


These are of course in their "summer" coat.  During the winter months their coat can be eight inches thick. 


I'll be posting more mountain goat pictures at by PBase website.  I'll also be posting a second blog on Glacier Nat'l Park on the hikes that I did.  Remember you can "click" on the picture to enlarge.

 I only have three more weeks working in Yellowstone before returning home to Florida. 

Thanks for following my Yellowstone adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment